Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 44 (7/28/12): Earth Loom


Not exactly our loom, but looks similar.

I woke up early to spend some time on the dock before starting the day.  The cloudy sky lay over Great Pond, filmed with fog.  Since we’d be moving out of the lake house today, I took advantage of having prime access to the water by doing a water workout this morning.  I’m not a lover of water now as I have been for most of my life, but the lake water became comfortable in no time.  During my time out there, the fog crept toward me, swallowing the islands up the lake that had previously been visible.  Spooked a little, I got out before Nessie’s cousin could catch a scent of me. 
I fed the animals and scooped their poop this morning, and watched the shop until Mary arrived from the lake house.    Kenya caught the rooster that has been roaming the forest for the past 3 weeks.  It’s a beautiful and large green, red, and gold cock with glossy feathers – welcome to the family, Big Red.  The main event of the day was building the loom with Ray.  Ray is the family friend who put together the teepee with Gilbert.  I’ve had little to no experience working with wood, but Ray did a good job of explaining each step to me.  We built a frame using 4 3x3” cedar planks by cutting 1.5”-deep chunks into each with a bow-string saw to interlock them.  We lashed all 4 corners with fishing string by wrapping each in an X-pattern and tying them with a square knot.  We stuck the frame ~10” into the ground and tied the spokes (vertical strings of the loom – horizontal strings are the ‘weaves’) 1”-apart from each other.   Sage and I spent the rest of the afternoon gathering materials around the farm that people could weave into the loom: dried flowers, thorny blackberry bushes, metal artifacts found in the ground, strips of fabric and denim, horse hair pulled from Nestor’s mane, sticks and bark, pine branches, milkweed, daisies, cock’s comb flowers, and sunflowers.
We finished the day with harvesting every and all of the produce in the fields, namely string beans and squash.  Eli joined us for our All-American dinner of hotdogs and chips – not the kind of meal that our dining table sees to often.  Eli would be sleeping over tonight, outside with the pig.  As our ‘local chef’ for the Dinner on the Farm even the next day, Eli would be roasting the locally-raised 160-lb pig for hours up to the event.  He decided that the pig would go on the roast at 4 a.m., so he’d need extra hands.  Mary almost made Jillian and me get up to help at that time. 
Jillian made a guest book for the event while I typed up a story that would be attached to the loom, explaining why we have this loom and its purpose as a community builder at the farm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment