Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 46 (7/30/12): Vacationland


Red's Eats Lobster Shack of Wiscasset.  The line is often so long, it goes back up onto the bridge crossing the Sheepscot River.

I had an amazing day today and enjoyed a nice little ‘staycation’ with the family.  We traveled from Waterville, home of Colby College, to Wiscasset, ME, listening to the Music Man, The Beatles, and My Fair Lady all along the way.  We followed Dad into a used bookstore – his favorite thing -  and we checked out a shop where I had gotten a couple of beautiful porcelain dolls when I was a little girl.  After waiting in line for 1.5 hours, we filled up on onion rings, sweet potato fries, french fries, fried shrimp, and lobster rolls at the famous Red’s Eats lobster shack.  We window shopped a little more before heading out to Boothbay Harbor.  We visited the condo we’d stayed in when we visited here 8 or 9 summers ago.  We did the typical touristy stuff: getting souvenir t-shirts, taking pictures on the boardwalk, sampling popcorn and fudge in shops, and speed-walking past the slow families (oh wait, that’s just the Spiers).  We walked through a statue garden with these cool stone figures; I’d love to have one on my desk.  After I’d been sufficiently punch-buggied by Abigail and we’d all posed for enough organized pictures for Mom, we decided to head back.  I love the Maine coast and all its attractions, so I found it interesting that Boothbay and Wiscasset were noticeably less busy in the prime of summer than they were 8 or 9 years ago.  
We drove on up to Blueberry Hill in Belgrade to pick blackberries and enjoy the panoramic view of Belgrade Lakes.  We had Gifford’s ice cream for dinner (it’s vacation, right?) – Wild Maine Blueberry and Maine Deer Tracks for me – and crashed in the hotel room for an evening of television.  Mom fell asleep by 8, Dad and I picked up some peanuts and carrots to munch on while watching the Olympics, and Abigail and I stayed up late painfully watching the US Men’s Gymnastics team slip up again and again.  
I had missed my family so much, and having a couple of days with them was exactly what I needed.  I love you guys!

Boothbay Harbor, ME

2 comments:

  1. We all had such a wonderful and nostalgic day with you, Anna! Counting the days until we see you again!
    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the speedwalking #goodfamilytrait
    I'm so happy you got to see your family, and that the event went so well! Hopefully I'll talk to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete